Re: Soapbox warning-Oklahoma Regional

To: <susan@grotecon.com>
Subject: Re: Soapbox warning-Oklahoma Regional
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:57:29 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Susan,
We'll be up on Saturday morning. I have a business meeting I can't skip
on Friday night. I think the HCTC will have only 5 or 6 cars this year.
I'm a little worried about what is happening to the South Central
Region of the VTR. I was pretty surprised to learn that we had grown to
encompass additional states. My personal feeling (not representing the
HCTC here) is that we should split our new overgrown region into more
reasonable sizes, maybe even go back to a Texas regional. Driving to
far off locations is certainly fun and adds entertainment value that
couldn't be found locally, but there are many benefits for keeping it
"close to home" (the MG folks have a GOF-Gathering of the Faithful, in
Salado each year for this very reason). I for one enjoy long hauls, and
many committed VTR members would not think of missing a regional, but
we lose what I think is the most enjoyable part of the event, i.e.,
some of the regular participants. Specifically, many people for varied
reasons just will not drive to far off locations in their TR.  For many
(most?), the car is second to the comradely, and without the
friendships that are fostered by going to the event each year, they
drop out. We lose enough people as it is when they move (or sell their
cars, buy a boat, divorce etc., ad infinitum). I know the host club is
doing everything possible to make this a great event, and I don't want
anyone to think that I think otherwise, but for a lot of people,
driving 7 or 8 hours each way for what is basically a one day event is
an unreasonable expectation for all but the most committed. It's very
hard for me to justify getting up a 3 a.m. Saturday, haul ass to get to
the resort by noon, just to leave Sunday morning to do the same thing
again. Barbara really wants to go. I doubt I'd make it this year
without her prodding. Any further away, like Kansas City or St Louis
and the group won't see me (or most anyone else from Austin, San
Antonio and other parts south and west. Sorry to dump this on you, I
guess I'll also send it to the VTR list (where it belongs). I started
out just answering your question, and yes we'll be there in the blue
TR6. The racecar will stay home.

BTW, are you racing with us at TWS in May?

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
> To: Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Oklahoma Regional
> Date: Wednesday, April 22, 1998 11:11 AM
>
> Hi all!
>
> Anyone on the list going to the Lake Eufala C.O.V.T.R. Regional this
> weekend?  (I know YOU are, Roger, see ya at 11 in McKinney!)  We will
be
> bringing Jim's autocross Spit and my street Spit, Elliott (Tristan is
> still down waiting on pistons).  That way we can both run all the
events
> in appropriate cars!  Let me know, and let's meet up and have a
BEvERage