Churchill Hub Tool

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Churchill Hub Tool
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:51:23 -0400
Hi,

I have a unique opportunity with my TR6. In order to put some newly
acquired wheels on my car, I have to upgrade my studs from 7/16" to 1/2"...
of course this means machining the hubs to accomodate new studs, and that
means taking the rear hubs apart... Joy of Joys!

I've been a long time advocate of having someone that knows what they are
doing do the job of taking the hubs apart and checking everything and then
reassembling. I was hoping that I would be able to follow that path this
time, but I came upon an "opportunity": I found a Churchill Hub tool.

So, I get to take the things apart myself.

I'll post a progress report to the list. I'll also take some pictures and
post them to one of the Web sites...

The tool is sort of interesting. It uses the studs on the hub as the
attachment point - it does not touch the back side of the hub at all. This
is why using a standard hydraulic press with various collets is bound to
fail, as they typically connect to the back side of the object...

Like I said, I'll post results.

Note: a friend who runs a shop fixing Triumphs and the like tells me that
the job takes around 4 hours per side... he doesn't do the rebuilds himself
because he'd have to charge $200 per unit _just for labor_.

Oh well, enough useless drivel.

C ya,
rml
TR6's and a Churchill hub tool.