Re: Choke cables

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Choke cables
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:12:10 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Cliff Hansen wrote:

> Anyone know of a better cable source?  Most 'merican cars don't
> require a cable that locks in position since the choke isn't held
> closed by a spring, like on our cars.  I thought about using a
> cable for the heater, which has this cool hexagon shaft and a ball
> that slips into grooves to hold the cable out, but it was too short.

You should be able to extend the Bowden cable with a little bit of
ingenuity (sp)... You'll need to have a good strong place to anchor both
sides of the join and enough space in between ends to have a joiner slide
back and forth (I think about 3" is enough for the SU choke, maybe less)

If the sole purpose of the cable is to *pull* then I think you can get
away with bicycle derailleur cable.  Don't use bike brake cable as it's
not as strong, or as stiff, as shifter cable.  Then you'll have to dream
up some method of attaching it to a handle, and you're set.

Hmm, I bet I could design one o' these; I'll have to visit the bike shop
tomorrow and see how long of a cable I can get.

Anyone interested?  I may figure something out anyway as my choke cable is
"aftermarket"  (and broken) and I'd like to make something a little less
obtrusive.

-Malcolm