Re: TR6 Police Car

To: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Subject: Re: TR6 Police Car
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:02:45 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tom,

At 17:53 20/04/98 GMT, you wrote:

>Shane writes...
>
>>Yeah, dream on Roger.  I notice in the latest Moss Cattledog
>>ads for aluminum (and cross-flow) MG, Big Healy and Sprite
>>heads.  How come no-one has not done the same for Triumph
>>motors.  Because all power is made in the heads, this is
>>the best "bang-for-buck" horsepower conversion you could make
>>to our old donks.  So why has'nt this been done?
>
>'Cause the bottom end would grenade?  Or the transmisson...or the
>rear...or the frame...or the...

Balls! I've been running 40-50% more horsepower than stock (for a UK model)
TR7 (ie. 140-150 vs. 105), for 2 years; if an engine has been rebuilt and
balanced (I also lightened the rods), the bottom end should take it. My
transmission and diff do not seem to have deteriorated either.

A friend of mine gets so much power out of his Dolly Sprint racecar, he's
broken 3 axles (until he went with a modified Rover part), but he's had no
catastrophic engine, transmission, or diff failures.

Okay, some models might be a little too close to their design limits, in
stock form (eg. 3-main bearing cranks, GT6 diffs, etc.), but I wouldn't
write them all off as being at their maximum compromise between tuning and
reliability.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia