RE: wiring question (gas in oil)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: wiring question (gas in oil)
From: Rod Knox <rknox@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:12:52 -0700 (PDT)

> I assumed excess fuel is not
>going to be a problem but perhaps I am wrong and the fuel does just keep
>flowing as you crank the engine?
>
>Thanks for the good points. I wonder what others might say on this. Now
>you have me thinking...

Since you are from Calgary I'll tell you a story.

I was driving my 61 valiant back to Cal. from B.C. one fall day and stopped
in Canmore for gas. I had noticed it was "burning" far too much, so checked
the fuel pump. Sure enough gas was flowing from out around it but it didn't
look too serious, so I drove home. (26 ave at 25 st SW) In the morning I
drove to work and a few miles down the Bow Trail, the oil light came on.  I
pulled over, checked the dip stick and found out where the extra gas was
going. After work I went back and drained 2.5 gallons of mostly gas out the
oil plug. I sold the car 5 years later ('91) and there was nothing wrong
with the engine. Well, the bearings were a little loud but it didn't smoke.

Therefore, I feel you shouldn't worry about a little gas slipping by the
rings on a pre-start, pressure-build-up routine. Sounds like a good idea
when the north winds blow. I always hated the sound of those first few revs
when it was really cold. (Don't have that problem on Vancouver Island)

Apparently 1961 was the last year any manufacturer made a fuel pump where
it was possible for the gas to get into the oil.

Rod Knox
1967 TR4A - CT 67907
owned 23 years