exhaust in the cockpit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: exhaust in the cockpit
From: HolePuncher <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:22:41 -0700
Hello All,

I just pulled my '70 TR6 out of retirement.  I've owned it for 13 years,
but it has been in storage for the last ten.  (a new Saab Turbo Convertible
appropriated my driving time)  Anyway, I have rediscovered a problem I was
working on ten years ago.  I get exhaust in the boot and in the cockpit.
Last week I replaced the exhaust system with a Monza to try to solve the
problem, so I know it doesn't leak now. No cracks in the header.  BTW, I
don't recommend the Monza system, too loud and obnoxious.  I had to put a
big-ass glass pack in front of it to keep the noise level under 106dB in
the cockpit.  The seal for the boot lid is in good condition and appears to
seal tight.  Nevertheless, the inside of the boot shows evidence of exhaust
soot and I'm suffering brain damage whenever I drive it.  A CO detector
confirms the diagnosis.  (The Snaab is starting to look good again...)  My
car runs perfectly, well-tuned and not overly rich. I have a new interior
coming so I would like to solve this problem before I ruin it, or any more
brain cells.

Something I have noticed, the boot lid has white caulk in the little drain
holes along the front edge outside of the seal line.  Is this factory?
Ditto the rear corners of the boot lid.

The seals around my tail lights are intact and tight.  All rubber plugs are
still in the boot floor.  The Robbins top was new ten years ago and still
looks it. The car has never been hit so the panels are still tight.  The
exhaust tips exit just under the bumper, well outside of the sheet metal.
I could try putting long extensions on them, but I don't relish the thought
of driving around with Batmobile jet thrusters sticking out the back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6, Jasmine w/'69 tan interior (yes, it's original)
CC50152L