spit wiper motor

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit wiper motor
From: "Robert L. Williams" <rlwilliams@navix.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:40:41 -0500
Fellow triumphers:

Junior and I need a little advice.  In preparation of replacing the battery
tray on his Spitfire Mk1 (the pilgrim) previous helpful people have advised
that in order to get the old tray out we will need to remove at least one
of the battery tray supports.  It appears the easiest one to remove is
right next to the windshield wiper motor, which means that has to come off,
wherein lies the problem.  Everything is loose except the cable that drives
the wipers from the motor.  My guess is that the cable must have a squared
of end that fits into the wiper motor and after 35 years it doesn't want to
come out/apart.  But I thought I'd check with the experts to so if I'm
right.  So---how do you get that darn cable out of the wiper motor,
hopefully in one piece.
By the way, when all yopu folks are out there working on your cars do you
find it a little annoying to have to stop and scrub all the grease off your
hands before you can type out questions like these.  I have old shop
manuals that are really oil and grease stained because I didn't wash up
before doing a consultation, does anyone out there fess up to having a
grease smeared keyboard?

Rob Williams and Dan
and The Pilgrim  Spitfire4  FC526L