Re: Spin on Filter TR6 engine

To: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Subject: Re: Spin on Filter TR6 engine
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:00:58 -0400
Cc: TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net
Lawrence Schilling wrote:

> I recently install Moss's spin on filter adapter.  I have the filter on top
> pointing upwards.  I saw a picture in a mag with the filter pointing down.
>
> Does anyone know if this makes a difference?  It's not leaking so I would
> really hate to have to take it off and switch it around which would
> probably guarantee a leak per Murphy's Law.
>
> '73 STRag

Unless your filter has a check valve in it to stop the oil from draining
back into the pan after your turn the car off, it will -- which means
that the next time you start the car, the oil pressure will lag until
the canister refills.  If this matters to you, then loosen the adaptor
bolt just slightly, spin the whole assembly so that the filter points
down, and retighten.  No big deal, obviously.

By the way, thanks to all who responded to my query about a GT6 spin-on
filter -- I went with the FRAM PH 3816, as Hector recommended.  Works
fine.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6