Dashpot oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dashpot oil
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:32:25 -0400
     In the colder climes of the great white north, I have always thought
     that the variation in the viscosity of engine oil with temperature
     could be a problem when used in SU (or Stromberg) dashpots.
     In a Volvo service manual that I got with a car there is an extensive
     section on the repair and setup of these carbs, and everywhere,
     everywhere, they recommend automatic transmission fluid. There is no
     mention of engine oil at all. I used ATF, I guess with success, in
     these carbs for years, but can't honestly compare to engine oil as I
     never tried it.
     It's worth noting that these were exactly the same model of carbs we
     use on our LBCs - HS6s, 175CD2s etc.
     I don't know if Volvo recommended this because they're from a
     wide-temperature-range country, but I suspect this is the case.

     So, does anyone know the what weight of engine oil would be equivalent
     in viscosity to ATF? (I suppose that engine oil that's the same
     viscosity as ATF would yield the same performance from the carbs.)

     John Mac - is your viscosity changing as your heating oil begins to
     flow?

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     Ottawa, Canada