Re: spitty 2nd gear

To: tad <trnelson@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: spitty 2nd gear
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:28:41 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Neth.edu>
>a question for the pros:
>
>I really have to nurse my gear level into 2nd gear when shifting from
>1st; the gear never slips out, so I'm guessing the synchro might be
>shot...   are these easy to replace or would you recommend taking it to my
>local shop?
>
>i've had the gear-box/trans out several times before and it doesn't look
>like too big of a job....
***********************************
Tad,
If it's because of grinding when you try to put it into second gear, than
yes it is probably the synchro, as it's pretty common for this gear to go
first.  As for how easy it is, well that's king of a hard question to
answer because it depends upon your level of experience.  It's just as
exacting as an engine rebuild, and about as much work although it's much
smaller and easier to heft around, but probably not as difficult as
rebuilding a rear end.  To replace the second gear synchro you will have to
practically disassemble the entire transmission because it's the second
gear from the rear of the tailshaft inside the tranny on the mainshaft.
While your there might as well do an entire rebuild -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)