Re: Starter

To: "Mr. Michael D. Fatsi" <mdfatsi@erols.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Starter
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 08:59:18 -0400
On 02 Apr 1998 Mr. Michael D. Fatsi wrote:
>Does anyone know if there is a usable replacement for a
>Vintage Lucas #25541E starter motor. Triumph used these in the 1950's on
>TR-2's and 3's. Thanks.
> -MF

You might be pleasantly surprised if you try a knowledgeable import car
parts place.  3 or 4 years ago, I went in to my local Beck-Arnley reseller
and was able to get a rebuilt starter for my Dad's '52 MG TD, (with proper
inspection bands, etc) for $48 outright, no core charge.  They ordered it
from a rebuilder called Precision, based in Chicago, and it arrived in 3 days.

My neighbor the mechanic tried to get me to retrofit a Japanese unit for
reliability.  No idea if it would even be feasible.
---
Ted Stevens
stevens@erols.com