Re: Sheet metal gauges

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sheet metal gauges
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 09:43:59 GMT
Malcom writes...

>Tonight I found a piece of the old metal that had red paint on both sides
>(original!)- put the micrometer on it and came up with a thickness of
>0.0423".  The new metal is 0.0300" (22 ga?)

22 ga <.030"> seems a bit thin to me.  A buddy recently bought a
"pattern part" replacement for his Alfa sill and it came through as 22
ga.  His original was definitely thicker.

I've been using .036"  as my reference for 20 ga and the thickness of
metal I expect to find on the Spitfire body panels.

>Should I be worried?  Is paint 1/100 of an inch thick?

I'd scrape the paint off and measure again.  Make sure your
measurement target is flat.  Even a mic will give false readings on a
curved surface.

>thanks,
>-Malcolm

Cheers!