Re: Pertronix vs Crane

To: Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Subject: Re: Pertronix vs Crane
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 11:27:17 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ed:

I have no experience with the Pertronix unit - can only speak to the Crane
unit.
I just recently installed the Crane XR700 on my TR6 - and cannot believe the
difference in starting and performance!  My poor old distributor is pretty
worn, and the electronic ignition has really helped in that area.

The new Crane units are now black instead of bright gold, and although
certainly not original, are acceptable in my opinion from an appearance
viewpoint.  I mounted mine on the bulkhead adjacent to wiper motor, and also
installed a new Lucas Sport Coil.  Installation was simple - about an hour and
a half, and well worth the $130 investment for ignition and new coil!

And, of course, I have no financial or other interest in Crane or Lucas.  (On
second thought, for as many Lucas components as I've replaced, I may have a
financial interest by now:-))

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6
1970 Spitfire