Re: No more Celulose paints in the UK???

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk" <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: No more Celulose paints in the UK???
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 8:32 -0800
James wrote:

I have heard some very worying news about celulose paints.  I.E. there
going to become very hard to get hold of.  Apparently because of some
new regulations on emmissions that are taking effect only people that
are deamed fit to use the paints safely will be allowed to buy the
paints.  In other words profesionals that use the paints to make a
living. From May 1998 you will need to convince the paint factor that
you have facilitys to use the paint safly to buy it.  Big paint factors
are already tightening up.  It's still beeing made until demand stops,
but can you get hold of it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
James - FWIW, this has been the situation in California for years now.
And, yes, it does make it more difficult to obtain certain types of
automotive paints, but not impossible.  I obviously haven't seen the
proposed regs. in the U.K., but in California one way to avoid the ban
on sales to non-licensed painters (i.e., the average joe like you and
me) is to tell the automotive paint supplier that you are painting a
trailer, not a motor vehicle.  Seems there is a loophole which permits
one to use some of the more volatile paints only "non-motor vehicles",
so a trailer makes for a good excuse.  I used Dupont Centuari semi-gloss
black for the frame and suspension components of the Spitfire (purists
are no doubt cringing that I would paint the frame back when the factory
painted it body color).  It normally is only available to licensed
shops.  Don't ask me what I said to the supplier........  :^)

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe