Re: Bosch Platiunum Plugs

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: Bosch Platiunum Plugs
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:51:52 -0500
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Atwell Haines wrote:

> I sit up and take notice when OEM manufacturers embrace something new.
> Such is the case with platinum tipped sparkplugs.
>
> ISTR that the original 1980's Japanese vans had platinum plugs installed
> because the engines were very hard to get at.
>
> Now platinums are standard in engines that are designed to run 100K miles
> between tune-ups for US emissions requirements.  The electrodes are said
> not to recede over time.
>
>  I have had the same Bosch set installed in my 5.0 Mustang for eight years
> with no problems (50K miles).
>
> Maybe they need unleaded gas to keep from fouling?  Anyway, they work for me.
>
> When Slick 50 becomes part of a manufacturer's maintenance regimen, please
> let me know.
>
> Atwell Haines
> '79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (On the road and LOVING it!)
>
> Succasunna, NJ USA
> "Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the speed limits?"

I also used them in my Ford Tempo for about 50K.  They run fine provided the
engine is properly tuned.  If you stalled the car (its old) it is very difficult
to restart without cleaning the plugs.  In a perfect world, cars are perfectly
tuned and drivers never ever stall the machines.

I have been told the the Japanese have been adding a Slick 50 like additive to
their engines for quite some time.  Can anyone comfirm this.