Re: Lifting eye?

To: Mark Milotay <otmc@bc1.com>, jbonina@nectech.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Lifting eye?
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:13:16 +1000
At 7:21 AM +1000 1/4/98, Mark Milotay wrote:
>My understanding is that it is one of the assorted mystery bits attached to
>the underside of our beasts for lashing them down on ship and lifting them
>out of holds. Am I correct?
>
>Mark Milotay
>
>At 02:37 PM 31/03/98 -0500, jbonina@nectech.com wrote:
>>
>>     What is a lifting eye on a TR6? It is flat piece of metal at the rear
>>     of the engine to which (on mine anyway) the ground strap to the
>>     battery was bolted to the block. It is about 3"-4" long, has a large
>>     (1 1/2") hole on one end and then a smaller diameter hole below it.
>>
>>     I found this piece in the Moss catalog on page   6, it is part #16.
>>
>>     What is it for?
>>

>>     Jeff
>>     '73 TR6

There are tie-down points underneath the TR6 which are intended for
securing the vehicle when it is being carried on a truck, trailer, in a
ship's hold, etc.  This is to avoid certain people (dopes) using vulnerable
parts of the suspension to secure the vehicle.  I would not use these
points to lift the vehicle.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U