Re: Bonnet Stuck Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bonnet Stuck Spitfire
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:15:37 GMT
Marks writes...

>Is it possible that the battery was sitting too high and has welded itself
>to the top of the bonnet?
>
>- Mark feeling silly from no sleep & too much coffee.

Ha!!  I came pretty close to doing this.  When I first got my '74 I
re-routed positive cable away from the battery.  Static tests in the
driveway showed no problem.  But when the day came to take the car out
for it's maiden voyage things changed in a hurry.

Unbeknownst to me, the cable was being chaffed by the sharp edge of
the bonnet stiffener.  Three blocks from my home I started to smell
something funny.  By the time I pulled back in the driveway I was
engulfed in thick plumes of acrid black smoke that sent the neighbors
kids scurrying.  Leaping from the car, I flung open the bonnet in time
to the last of the arc welding display.

Darn good battery, that one...

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley