TR6: IT STARTS!!!

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6: IT STARTS!!!
From: "John Duhart" <DUHART@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:15:09 -0500
Hey All,

        One year, 4 months, and X days since the rebuild started and Saturday
was the big day.  All parts attached, and bolts tightened, battery connected,
and keys in the ignition.

        OK, a lot of work has been done and a lot of bucks have been spent.
Turn the key!  The starter turns the engine over  (good the battery has some
juice in it).  One, twice, three times...

        The engine starts!!!

        Oil pressure meter is pegged high!  good good..

        Run out and top ogg the radiator.  good

        Jump back in and bring it up to 2500rpm.  (going on advive of the list)

        Gee, there is some smoke coming off the engine, but she is running.
She is a little ruff, but running.

        OK the list says to run her for 20 minutes at 2500.  My heart is
pounding, engine is smoking.  oil pressure is still pegged.  IGN light is
glowing red!  Hold her at 2500, bow head, pray...  Lift head, hey the temp
gauge is working.  The engine has smooth out a little, and the temp is holding
steady.  Man, 20 mintues is a long time.  Take her up to 3000rpm, then back to
2500.  OK, time hasd passed, take her down to 1500rpm.  oil pressure drops to
40psi.  IGN light stays red.  Times up, shut it down, bow head, says thanks,
rub dashboard affectionitly.

        OK, now for the problems  The alternator seems dead.  I have the parts
to fix it, but I may just buy one for the Ford Fiesta from pepboys.  It looks
like I am leaking raditor fluid from between the head and block at the rear of
the engine.  Not a lot, but enough to make a small (4 inch) puddle.  I hope
tightening the block down will stop this.  Checked the oil and didn't see any
hints of anti-freeze in it.

        Should be back on the road this summer.

Later,
JHD IV