140 TR-4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 140 TR-4
From: John Taylor <norge@shaysnet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:40:02 -0800
-Hi, During the late '60s & early '70s I assembled many TR series motors
and we tried to increase the output mostly guided by the Kastner book. We
used an Isky cam # 666 ? and we ran a couple on a dyno. They were in the
138/142 hp range. If one wanted more power it was simply to increase the
compression. We were taking .090 to .125 off of a stock head. At 90 you
could use a stock gasket after that it required a "steel shim" with rings
that we filled with fine copper wire. We did not have any failures and
the "90" motors gave a long life and good power matched with mid '20s
MPG. I hope this is of interest. We did one with a bigger cam
and more compression that was a bit over 150hp. It has been a long time
but if anyone has a question or idea please give me an e-mail " ring".
Cutting the head a lot may make the intake& exhust manifold hit the block
and not seal causing an air leak: grind the block. We did drag race a new
BMW 320. It was close but he did  was second.

Best
John

Taylor Sales Group INC.   Voice: (413) 772-6286
133 Barton Rd.            Fax:   (413) 774-7122
Greenfield, Mass. 01301
301
WRKSHEETPDM