Elec Fans vs Efficiency

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Elec Fans vs Efficiency
From: Bwfox <Bwfox@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:16:13 EST
Fellow Listers:
I have been following the thread re electric vs directly driven fans on our
beloved
Triumphs.  Someone  made the observation that electric fans must be more
efficient as all new cars use them.  I do not believe  efficiency has anything
to do
with newer vehicles using electric fans as much as the fact that almost all
newer vehicles have transversely mounted engines.  As the Corvair engineers
(and owners) learned, V belts do not like to make 90 degree corners.  You are
forced to either put the radiator in the wheel well or leave it in its usual
spot and use an electric fan.  I vaguely remember back in the 60s a Fiat or
Renault or Simca or somesuch with a rear mounted transverse engine with the
radiator squarely in front of it, crank driven fan and all, with lots of
ducts/louvres to get air back there.

BTW, I plan to add an electric fan to my TR4A.

Cheers,
Barry W. Fox    65 TR4A  CT51681L
W1HFN
N. Central Mass.