RE: A question of (TR6) timing

To: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: A question of (TR6) timing
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 19:10:47 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
As the engine accelerates it advances, not retards.  So as long as you start
out in the right place, the advance will be the same as if the retard was
still there.  I still have the vacuum advance connected.  I have the studs
on the banjo connector at the manifold takeoff plugged (the brake hose is
still there), the bypass valves on the carb plugged (but I am not sure they
need to be) and the vacuum connection distributor is left open. Again, the
vacuum advance distributor springs et al. are untouched.  The way the retard
worked it was cut off until you took your foot off the accelerator and only
had the retard effect at idle.  I've been thinking about reconnecting the
bypass valves on the carbs leaving the dist. line off, but haven't tried
that yet.

I am not sure of all the consequences, doing it was suggested by the guy who
rebuilt my engine, saying it never really worked the way they intended
anyway. What I can say is that my engine is running great.  It was a lovely
day today and I drove from Atlanta to Buchanan Ga., about 50 miles from
Atlanta (spitting distance from Alabama). Cruised right down the freeway at
70-75 mph wonderfully.