Is charging surcharge for parts a standard practice?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Is charging surcharge for parts a standard practice?
From: Bobby Whitaker <bjbrew@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 18:16:26 -0500
I called the person I have chosen to do the floors and door sills on my TR-6
yesterday to tell him I would be ready to bring the car to him soon.  I told
him that I had decided to take advantage of the TRF winter parts sales and
already bought the parts.  He said that he would have to charge me a
surcharge because in addition to making his $35/hour for labor he makes a
small profit on the parts he sells to his customers at a good price (he does
have good prices when he is doing the labor, he just can't beat 30% off TRF
prices).

Is this standard practice and acceptable, and should I not be so bothered by
it.
He has worked on Triumphs for 20 years, is highly recommended and respected
by all the members of my local Triumph club and has worked on my car once
before and did a great job at a reasonable price.  This is my first
restoration and I don't have any experience farming out work like this and I
just wondered if there were any opinions out there.

Bobby Whitaker
'72 TR6 CC78127