RE:kangol Reflex

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:kangol Reflex
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:11:07 -0800
Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> >     Latest project: Making sure when I get killed in a crash, my body
> >     stays strapped to the seat. Yes, I'm trying to make the seatbelts
> >     functional.
>
> Jeff:
> By using your 25-year-old belts you almost insure that you'll get killed,
> because the belts failed. My strong advice is to get the hardware re-webbed
> (check Hemmings for outfits that do this) or get all new belts. The
> material in the belts is no different from any fabric and deteriorates from
> UV exposure. SCCA requires that harnesses used in competition be replaced
> every 5 years. Do all of us a favor and do this right.
>
> Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
> Cortland, NY (nowhere near New York City)
> '71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)
>
> When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Get some good ones.  My son and his girl friend just survived a head on
crash at highway speed last week when another person come over in to
their lane.  Both cars wet totaled and the other person was killed
instantly.  It took two hours to cut him out of his truck. My son's
girl friend has a broken sholder from the seat belt and my son
unfortunately or fortunately has a lot of broken bones with no major
internal injuries and over  $100,000 in medical bills with no hospital
insurance and $30K auto insurance compensation but he's alive with broken
jaw, leg, foot, and elbows and a few lost teeth and probably about four
months lost activity.  I consider that pretty lucky even with the future
problems of money and a couple of more surgeries.

Seat belts saved them both!

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6