Re: automatic TR6?

To: kengano@advant.com
Subject: Re: automatic TR6?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:25:15 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>, Peter.Hore@dhs.vic.gov.au, Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 kengano@advant.com wrote:

> At the Summer party two years ago a fellow had a TR3 with an automatic.  I
> think he said it was out of a Herald.  He as confined to a wheelchair so the
> automatic was a physical necessity.  Looked like a particularly neat
> installation.  I don't remember a name, but he was from Maryland, I believe.
> Maybe someone else can provide more details.

Probably not from a Herald, as automatic transmission wasn't available in
same. Note, though, that the earlier Triumph 10 was available with
TRIUMATIC (or TRIMATIC, depending on which factory source literature one
reads). This was the same as STANDRIVE on the Standard 10, and was
somewhat like the VW Beetle's automatic stickshift, with clutch actuated
via touch of the shift lever.

The more likely donor might be a Triumph 2000 sedan, with the venerable
Borg-Warner Type 35 automatic box. As it bolts up to the Triumph six
nicely, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to adapt to the old
wet-liner four.

--Andy