Dave Hill, 2.5PI Fuel Problems

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dave Hill, 2.5PI Fuel Problems
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:09:23 -0000
G,day.

First, grateful thanks to all who answered my braking query. I've found that
the rear wheel cylinders were too poor to accept new seals and are still
leaking. I reckon the soggy feel is the fluid being squeezed out of the back
shoes.

Now, PI and lumpy running. I've had the injectors out and blown them through
with compressed air. No.6 was very reluctant, needing the full 80 psi to get
it to open. Put the injectors back, started up and the engine now runs on
five cylinders, No. 6 being the one without a pulse. On a quick blast around
the block, the motor briefly went onto six cylinders and the power was all
there.

So, is there any fluid I can soak the injector in without killing the
internal O-ring? I suspect it is full of muck which needs loosening before
the compressed air is applied.

Re. the uneven running, the car seems to have a rich mixture. I found a
small vacuum leak on the main line from manifold to metering unit. Can
anyone give me answers to these...?

1. A PI rundown on the net suggests removing the cover of the metering unit
to check that the nylon diaphragm fastening isn't broken. Is this just the
black plastic top cover or do they mean the alloy cover which is the next
down, held by four machine screws?

2. There's no sound of fuel being returned when I listen at the tank filler
neck. Should this be heard clearly and  am I listening in the right place?

Many thanks from a PI Virgin,

Regards, Dave Hill