Re: checks at Bubba's garage

To: lscharff@ghgcorp.com
Subject: Re: checks at Bubba's garage
From: Rikrock <Rikrock@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:56:16 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<<
 IGNITION VOLTAGE OUTPUT TEST
 Scopes may be inaccessible from time to time, so we at "Bubba's
 Garage"
 have come up with this here test for Ignition Output:
 1.Hold medium wrench in one hand, Sears wrench preferred for accuracy
   of test 'cause other smooth wrenches are too slick for throwin'!
 2.With engine runnin', grab hold of the plug end of an ignition cable
   with the other hand and hold on tight!
 3.This will more than likely cause you to throw wrench!  KV output
   is based on how far the wrench wuz thrown!
        10 feet =                 approx. 10,000 volts
        20 feet =                 approx. 15,000 volts
        30 feet =                 approx. 25,000 volts
        Over 30 feet =            Caution!  Must be one of them new
                                            dis-is-it ignition systems,
                                            use bigger wrench and
 retest.

Great stuff!

Reminds me of my first lesson in ignition system troubleshooting.

I was maybe 8 years old.  Our lawnmower would not start.  My brother, ten
years my elder, was trying to figure out the problem.  He removes the high
tension lead at the spark plug and tells me to hold the end of the wire
between my thumb and forefinger.  I am thrilled to think that I could actually
help solve the problem, and hold on tightly.  He gives the rope a mighty pull,
and watches me closely.  No doubt about it, there was voltage getting to the
plug!!

Rich Rock
64 TR4
65 TR4A-IRS