Re: TR6 Commission numbers

To: TR6 6pack <TR66pack@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Commission numbers
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:03:29 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
TR6 6pack wrote:

> What differentiated a 1974-1/2 TR6 from a 1974? I believe it
> was emmission equip, but I can't find a source to confirm this.

As far as I know, there are NO emissions, carburetion, or vacuum
line changes between the 1974 and 1974-1/2 cars.  As far as the
emissions changes, all my sources indicate that they took place
with the start of the 1975 model year at CF35000.

> I know the bumper/signal change came with '75 but if I recall
> correctly the air pump/emissions updates came slightly earlier,
> creating the 74-1/2 model.

I think you have this backwards.  The bumper / signal changes
definitely occurred somewhere after the start of the 1974
model year, and before the start of the 1975 model year.  This
is, as far as I know, the change indicating the "1974-1/2"
designation.    You'll find more details on some of the changes
of which I am aware in my message of a few minutes ago,
which contained a few messages from a thread on this topic
from last year.

> Also, I have a member asking about his '74 commission number. His
> is CF29133UO, built in November 74, but sources say the last 74
> was Com. No. CF-2577U and was built in Sept. '74.

As far as I know, CF29133UO was a 1974-1/2 TR6.  The start of
the 1975 model year involved a jump in commission numbers to
CF35000.  I don't have any records which give the last 1974 (or
1974-1/2) TR6.  Something must be wrong with the commission
number you give above, CF-2577U.  My records show that CF-2577U
would be a relatively early 1973 TR6!

> Lastly, I have documented some 1974 TR6's that are less than 100
> cars apart in commission number but the build dates don't make sense.
> For example, the LOWER numbered car has a LATER build than the higher
> numbered car. The difference between the cars is one has O/D and the
> other doesn't. Were commission number blocks set aside for O/D cars?
> Does this explain the conflict between number and build date?

This doesn't surprise me.  If the various other pieces (bumpers,
turn signals, seat belts, etc.,) all had "uneven" cutoff dates,
why not commission plates, too?  :-) :-)

Lastly, I think wrapping this up quickly between now and March 23, 1998
is very unlikely.  I still don't have a clear picture in my mind,
after discussing this for years, with one of my cars very near to
the cut off point (CF27535).  I would probably suggest that the
article conclude that this is a fuzzy area, rather than claim to
have a conclusive article.  This is particularly important since
many readers consider 6-Pack to be an "authoritative" source.
Printing erroneous information (unless specifically indicated
as "likely to be erroneous") is worse than printing nothing at
all!

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |