Re: I Homered my calipers

To: chansen@exis.net, Schloss3@aol.com
Subject: Re: I Homered my calipers
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:41:13 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Cliff see below please.  Paul, do you remember what you found?  Thanks.

In a message dated 98-03-19 12:40:44 EST, Cliff Hanson writes:

> I'm replacing the dust boots and piston seals on the front
> calipers of my TR4A.  AFTER I separated the caliper halves
> I discovered that the factory manual doesn't have torque
> specs for putting them back together.  AND I notice the paragraph
> in the Moss parts book stating "Don't take these apart."

> Anyone know enough to bail me out?>
>
>  Cliff Hansen
>  chansen@exis.net
>  1966 TR-4A  CTC 64615L (Anxious to be done with front end work)

Cliff, we had a "thread" on this about a year ago. If I remember correctly, I
called TRF's help line (toll call) and spoke to the guy who does TRF's
rebuilds.  He told me what they do and I passed it on to whomever wanted to
know.  I don't remember the specifics, but it might be worth a call.

Meantime I'll check my old mail and see if I can find the message.  Cheers.

Art Kelly
WHOA!  Found the message from last June.  Paul (schloss3@aol.com) asked about
the calipers.  Below is a part of my e-mail to him (> at the beginning of a
line indicates his questions - no mark at the beginning was my answer).

>Moss also states that under no circumstance should the split calipers be
>disasembled.  Well that has already been done by a previous owner.  Can
> these calipers be reassembled?

Yes, but you will need the rubber gasket which goes between the two halves.
 According to The Roadster Factory (TRF) Tech Support, it was the
unavailability of this gasket which caused the caution against disassembly.
 TRF also says that the gasket and the torque specs for the bolts which hold
the two halves together are now available (Moss says the torques were not
published).  TRF rebuilds these calipers so if you call them at their tech
support number they can give you the torque specs (or rebuild them for you,
I'm sure :-)).  TRF's numbers are: (800) 234-1104 or Tech Research (814)
446-4491.

>Or if not, can I use the one piece calipers?

I don''t see why not - except for "originality."    <  snip  >

>  Paul Brandsema
>  High Point, NC
>  email: schloss3@aol.com

Some background info on the calipers themselves.  The TR4 calipers are the
same dimensions etc. as those on the TR3's.  The original TR3 calipers were
one piece.  In '59, they changed to the "split" calipers (called "B" type)
for ease of service and manufacture.  These were carried thru to TR4
Commission #'s CT4388 (disc) and CT4390 (wires).  Then the single piece "16P"
type caliper (which had been used on  the TR3B's) was fitted.  I think that
later TR models (thru TR6) continued to use the 16P calipers but had a servo
added to the system, but that is really not germane to your  problem.

Hope this helps you.  If you have any more questions, please feel free.
 Cheers.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant
   [Jun26,1997]