Re: U-joints: shoulda taken notes

To: Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: U-joints: shoulda taken notes
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:44:50 -0500
Cc: Shawn Mann <shawmon@worldnet.att.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chad Stretz wrote:

> Now this makes me curious.  If the yokes are soft enough to be
> distorted by hammering, why wouldn't the same thing happen when you
> smash them in a vise?  Does the constant pressure of the vise make
> that much of a difference?   I've always used the hammer method, but I
> did notice that my u-joints in the Six  were a little stiff after
> changing them.
>
> Always ready to re-learn things,
> Chad Stretz
> 73 TR6
> CF7511U

What are you Chad, Mr. Analysis King?  Actually, after I sent off my
declaration I began to wonder the same thing.  My half-baked response
might go like this:

1)  Hammering on the sides of the bearing collar gets it out of round.
No hammering is done on the collar itself with the vice method.

2)  Using a vice may pinch the yokes together, but then since you repeat
the process from the opposite side, the distortion is equaled in the
other direction, cancelling the effect.

Hey, it's the best I could come up with on the spur of the moment.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6