Half-way there

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Half-way there
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:55:18 -0500
Since I've been pestering the list with questions about
my front end work, I thought I'd share a few additional
items I have learned in the process.  I'm half-way done
(everything's apart, most items cleaned, what I still need
is on order.)

1) GREASE YOUR TRUNNION BOLTS when you assemble
with high quality, water-resistant grease.  The left side
components were rusty, water had been inside.  The right
side bolt was frozen in the trunnion.  A friend slagged the
head off with his oxy-acetelyne torch (I GOTTA get one of
these) to free the control arm.  The steering stop bolt had
sheared off on both trunnions, and while the trunnion-to-vertical
link area was sealed and still good, the trunnion showed some
wear near the top so I'm replacing them.  British Parts NW
sells for about $30 apiece, much better than the Big Three's
prices ($55 and up.)

2) I ordered polyurethane bushings from Ted Schumacher.
They were slightly too small (control arm hole is 1.034",
right on factory spec, bushing was 1.022").  Several on the
list told me this didn't sound right.  Since Ted's
off to a race in Florida I don't know what the explanation is.
In either case I will send these bushing back.  I called BPNW
and asked about their bushings.  He measured one for me
(1.035").  When BPNW's bushings arive I'll confirm this.
Otherwise its back to standard rubber.

3) Victoria British had the best price on stock Woodhead shocks.
$40 for two, half what I would have paid locally, and much less
than TRF or Moss.

With any luck I'll be back on the road by 1 April.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A  CTC 64615L (Anxious to be done with front end work)