Re: TR6 - Stainless Steel Exhaust System

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Stainless Steel Exhaust System
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 08:37:50 PST
Martin wrote:
        > Any advice on the minimum work I should have
        > performed on the cylinder head to increase low and mid HP and torque?

Martin,
        Your "comparison" of the Monza and Falcon system was another
good comment, and helps me a lot in my search for an exhaust
system.  My current stock system has blown out, and I need
to replace it.  I would like a full-on equal-lenght headers
and custom 2" system, but my engine is completely stock, and until
I work that (I have to smog my car for another 4 years) I could be
just wasting my time with a deep breathing system.

        Heads are where an engine makes its power; too often people
work the breathing first, but in my experience with head work on my
Ford V8, this is where you get the most bang for your buck.  You are
on the right course by increasing compression and a 3-angle valve job.
New valve guides, springs and stainless steel valves are a must.
Have the head magnafluxed before you spend serious money on it.
A few hundred dollars on a good port and polish to match the intake
and exhaust manifolds is also a must.  The next place I would spend
money is on camshaft, and roller-rockers.  From my reading of
Kasteners book, the stock Strombergs and header will flow plenty of
air for all mid-range work.  Unless you want to spend serious money
on an engine, breathing can be left alone (though it does make an engine
look and sound sexy!).  Finally, an almost zero-cost upgrade is electronic
ignition; this is a no-lose upgrade; the fat stable spark makes a huge
difference at starting time right through the rev range until the red-line.

        My $0.02. Good luck!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego