Re: TR6 upgrades - drum brake on "nose of diff"

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 upgrades - drum brake on "nose of diff"
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:04:02 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm,

I'm clear, now. I thought people were trying to tell me that differential
spinning of the wheels would be worse when braking the driveshaft than when
driving it, and I thought they were trying to invoke some other mechanism.

Actually, single-wheel spin could be worse - if the driveshaft brake
produced more torque than the transmission!

I guess we're stuck with the old little-drum-brake-in-the-hub trick.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia