Re: TR-6 Restoration Questions

To: Charles Duckworth <cnlduckwor@ninenet.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Restoration Questions
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 20:15:36 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Charles:

Here are my thoughts to your questions:

Charles Duckworth wrote:

> ...  Has anyone had any luck with taking their dashboard to a wood working
>shop and
> having them match a small section of  walnut veneer vs. replacing the whole
> thing.

The most dificult part of this process is not so much trying to match
the
graining, especially if it a small piece, but more with the colour or
patina of the wood. I'd certainly give it a shot. You may want to
consider talking to antique furniture refinisher/restoration rahter than
wood
shops since they (a good refinisher) can do majic with hidding problems
with fine woods.

> Second question,...  I know gasoline is extremely flamable and
> wondering if mineral spirits would be a better alternative and less likely
> to attack the paint.

Paint thinner or mineral spirits will work fine, especially if the
original
paint job has a clear coat. Work in small areas and wipe off thinner
with clean rag. Key here is to work quick so the "black stuff" doesn't
redry and to change rags (both the one for thinner and the one to
wipe surface clean) frequently.

Hope this helps.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA