TR6 overdrive jumping in/out

To: <lopezje@bulldog.georgetown.edu>
Subject: TR6 overdrive jumping in/out
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 00:58:23 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Jonathan
Check the operating solenoid, wires leading too and from plus the operating
switch and inhibitor switch. This stops overdrive operating, inadvertant
like, if you should go into reverse: not an initiative on your part that
old laddo Laycock is at ease with at all!!  If you get a 'clicking' sound
EVERY time you waggle the lever with O/D switched on, your inhibitor is OK.
If its periodic, needs checking out. Is your switch a finger stalk on the
column or slider on the lever knob? I'd left Triumph by '74.  If on the
knob, its likely dirt in the slider getting on the contacts which was a
common problem on the PI saloons and Dolomite. If switch is on the column,
ditch the switch or attempt to clean the contacts. If after all that, the
problem still exists, oi tinks yer going to have to take the unit off the
back of the box and have the pressure checked on the primary pump. I had
same probs on my GT6 - e.g. O/D jumped out at 4500+ revs in 4th gear. Took
ages to sort it and in my case it was the pump.
John Macartney