Re: Home Powder coating...the Oven Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Home Powder coating...the Oven Problem
From: Charles Miller <cmiller@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 12:16:13 -0600
James wrote:

> Get a dustbin/oil drum, turn it on its side, or some other metal type
> container.  Hinge the lid, or door, put rock wool or some type of
> insulation which will stand the temperatures, and put a couple
> of bunsen burners through a whole in the back, you could have a
> thermometer
> outside, or put a BBQ underneath, a hole in the top front.  And when
> your not powder coating you could use it to cook whole Pigs for the
> clan, or you could smoke kippers for breakfast.
>
> Wild Ramblings, thinking and dreaming.
>
> Hmmm,
> I can roast a pig in it, and powder coat the rear leaf spring,
> could do all the wheels together if I made it 6 foot long.
>
> --
> James Carpenter
> Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot

I recently received my kit.  The instructions are pretty specific about
using an electric oven.  Seems the powder is kinda explosive, so a flame
is not a good idea.  It's also toxic, so you cannot cook in the oven
used for powder coating.  So, I bought an old used electric oven which I
am wiring into my garage (it makes a pretty good base for my benchtop
blast cabinet).  Got the oven from the ads in the Sunday paper for just
a few $s, the wiring stuff cost about $25 at Home Depot.
Charles Miller
'75 TR6