Re: Gas Tank Repair

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Stingroy63@aol.com" <Stingroy63@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Repair
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 8:51 -0800
Mark wrote:

I pulled the gas tank out of my TR6 that I'm restoring and discovered that the
bottom was rusted.  When I scraped off the loose rust a couple of small holes
appeared (1/8" to 1/4").  Is there any practical way to repair this?  I was
thinking of having someone cut out the bad section of tank and weld in a new
one but I realize this would be tough to do.  Assuming I can fix the tank,
what needs to be done in terms of sealing/coating the inside of the tank?  I
would appreciate any advice.
==================
Mark -

Couple of thoughts..... Yes, you could pull the tank, clean it out ( a good
idea regardless of how you end up fixing it), cut out the holed area and weld
in a new piece.  Not a big deal.  Many radiator shops can dip your tank (after
the gas has drained and it has dried out for a few days).  In fact, a radiator
shop should be able to braze up the two holes quite easily.

Another option is (after cleaning), use an epoxy filler that withstands fuel
and other chemicals.  This, too, is an easy fix.

As to sealing the tank with a coating, I know that Eastwood sells a product
that seals up gas tanks and ISTR that other list members have used it with
some success.  OTOH, I would be just a little wary about using a "coating" in
the fuel tank because if the coating ever started flaking off, you'd end up
with clogged filters and fuel pump.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe