Re: Sybill, The Tranny & The Clutch

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sybill, The Tranny & The Clutch
From: Mark Clark <clarkm@OIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:26:37 -0800
> Someone else mentioned the linkage at the pedal in an earlier response, and
> that's certainly worth looking into.  However, I doubt you'll find that to
> be any more than a contributing factor.  In other words, I don't think that
> the linkage could be solely responsible for the clutch not disengaging.

  That would be me - my pedal assembly was so worn the slop prevented the
master cylinder from being pushed in far enough to disengage the clutch.
Note that this was not wear to just one component - it was a combination of
the pedal pivot being out of round and the bearing seized, flexing in the
bracket, and worn holes and pin in the master cylinder actuating rod.  With
cars as old as ours, this sort of wear is bound to start showing up more
often in coming years.

  Fortunatly, the condition is easy to check for with a wiggle test - the
components will be clearly much looser than you would think they should be.
The pain comes in taking the assembly apart and replacing it - I sure hope
I never have to do that again!

Dr. Mark Clark
Oregon Institute of Technology