Re: TR6 fuel pump - best answer

To: Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 fuel pump - best answer
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:19:10 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Edward Hutchinson wrote:

> If awards were given for the best answer, the following would take first
>place:
>
> > That's the manual pump function, if the rod doesn't push the pump you can
> > have somebody sit on the fender and work that lever while you drive.
> > Just kidding, it's to force gas to the carbs, handy if the car has
> > been sitting awhile.
> >
> >Jody

Ack. Brings back 25-year-old memories of trying to help nurse a friend's
1952 MG-TD (sorry) a mile or so back to his house. The typically
recalcitrant SU electric fuel pump required gentle persuasion (light
handle-of-screwdriver taps), administered by the passenger (moi) via the
open RHS of the bonnet. IMS, the fold-down windscreen made access somewhat
easier.

Just as typically, the fuel pump required only a quick dressing of the
points to render it serviceable once again. Meanwhile I was quick to
proudly demonstrate the reliability of my TR3A...while fuel slowly dripped
from the tank outlet pipe....

--Andy