RE: Pertronix perplexia

To: "'Chris Lillja'" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Subject: RE: Pertronix perplexia
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:12:03 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Impedance is the measurement of resistance in an ac circuit.  Coils and
capacitors offer resistance which is a function of (amongst other things) the
frequency of the ac passing though.  Remember the coil (or any transformer)
will only function with an AC current.  Its the creation and destruction of the
magnetic field from the primary that induces the current in the secondary.
Anyway the primary winding of the coil has an impedance which must reasonably
match the impedance of the circuit attached to it.  Note that a good comparison
is the speakers on your stereo (8 ohms) must be matched to the amplifiers
output.  You can't go adding speakers in series or parallel without matching
transformers to present 8 ohms to the amp.

I am not engineer nor do I play one on TV.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com   non illegitimus carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/