Re: Re Tr3's + TR4's

To: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Subject: Re: Re Tr3's + TR4's
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:36:59 -0600 (CST)
Cc: "'TR List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Tom Leake wrote:

> This is quite late but that's what you get on digest.
> > So can you drop a TR-4 body onto a TR-4A Live Axle chassis?

        I did it in reverse... The Green Man sports a TR4a under tub. There
        are shock stops (or bumpers) on the inner wheel well on the `4a
        tub that I cut off (didn't need em).  You will have to use the TR4's
        emergency brake assembly unless you cut off the brake pull from
        the 4A and weld it to the 4's drive shaft tunnel (you'll have to
        drill the holes to route the 2 cables for the E- brake I used the
        TR4's E-brake lever as the hole for it was thoughtfully left in the
        `4's floor. Also there are mounting bolts on the deck behind the the
        seats that I assume bolted on the frame. These are blind bolts and
        are welded into the body work. also depending on how old your TR4
        is, there may be some differences in what door stop straps (keeps
        the door from opening too far) are used.

        Finally you may have to use the TR4's top bows as there are threaded
        bolt holes for the 4a's pull up top that aren't on the TR4.

        All in all the swap worked for me... At least it has for the last
        12 years or so...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois