Re: MGB vs. TR6

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: MGB vs. TR6
From: Robert Shaffer <rshaffer@gmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:55:58 -0700
Cc: EPaul21988@aol.com, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
>   My advice to the original poster was that if acceleration
> is very important to you, the correct choice is "neither". The
> TR6 is marginally faster, but both are very slow cars by
> todays standards.

     My general philosophy has been that acceleration, power, etc. is
only important if that's what gives you a rush.  I'm not saying that I
don't like getting kicked in the back with 200+ hp, but from my limited
experience with LBCs there is something to be said about the sterility
of today's horsepower plentiful cars and an LBCs reassuring, and often
mind numbing vibrations, sounds, etc.  Yeah, you get that nice rush of
"wow, that's impressive acceleration" from today's cars, but that's
about it.  After driving a Taurus SHO and a MG, I have to admit that the
MG seemed more entertaining than the SHO.  Ok, you go 0-60 in 6.5
seconds, but then it's ho-hum I wonder what's on the radio.   The MG
just had so much more personality to everything it did.  An LBC demands
your attention.  Oh well.  Just a few comments from a novice. :)

                                                        -Robert Shaffer