Re: Sheared bolts and a warning

To: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Sheared bolts and a warning
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 10:00:42 -0800
Cc: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
bharris wrote:

> Charlie B. wrote:
> >
> > Listers,
> >
> > I came up with a good one yesterday. On my last run, of the last
> > autocross of my season, my Spit started making a God awful banging
> > sound. About that time the clutch stopped working. At first I thought
> > the friction disk had gone away--again!
> >
> > Upon tear down I found three of the four bolts holding the flywheel to
> > the crank had sheared cleeeean off. The alignment pin got
> > cut off also. Fortunately, there was no damage to either the flywheel or
> > the clutch components.
> >
> > What I'd like to do is E-Z out the threaded residue that's left in the
> > crank. I see no marking on the OEM bolts that indicate any grading; 5, 8
> > or otherwise. The only marking are "GSF" (which I'm assuming is the
> > manufacturer's ID) and the UKC part number.
> >
> > Has anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone know what the grade of
> > these bolts is? The last thing I want to do is try to drill into a
> > graded bolt, working under the dash. Then again, I really don't want to
> > have to drop the pan and take the crank to a machine shop.
> >
> > Anyway, to all you Spitfire drivers who've added, and who are adding,
> > more horsepower the stock block, you may want to think about replacing
> > these four bolts with a Grade 8. If I ever get these stumps out, that's
> > what I'm goin to do.
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Charlie B.
>
>  Charlie,
>          Wondering what you learned about your flywheel bolts,as I
> haven't seen anything since your org.post. Did you get the stumps out?
> did you find out what grade they were? Just curious.
>                                    Bob Harris

One word of advice (based on experience) concerning Spit flywheel
bolts:  Make sure you have the proper clearance between the bolts that
secure the flywheel and the metal surface of the clutch.  When I got my
Spit, the engine was in boxed, but there were wear lines on both the
improper flywheel bolts and the front surface of the clutch.  These
marks alighned perfectly.  Putting shorter headed flywheel bolts in it
solved the problem.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (tired of being doorless, wants to go for a spin in
the rain.)