Re: Unleaded fuel

To: curry@wolfenet.com, 66austin@mursuky.campus.mci.net
Subject: Re: Unleaded fuel
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 00:03:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-10-25 22:52:51 EDT, curry@wolfenet.com writes:

> Since Unleaded fuel came into being in 1975, I assume your TR is made
>  for the good old leaded variety.  If the head has been reworked in the
>  past 20 years, it might have been upgraded to run on unleaded.  Barring
>  that, you can add fuel additive or have the head reworked to include
>  hardened seats and valves.  Then you can just pull up and fill up.  Lead
>  is a lubricating agent and if your engine was built to run on leaded
>  gas, it can be damaged if you don't have lead in the fuel.

Joe:

When I decided to run my '71 without valve seat modification or additives, I
justified my decision on the fact that if the car survived OK, then I was
ahead of the game, if not, then I could do it later. Modifying the engine was
going to be expensive, whether I did it then, or waited to see of any damage
was being done. I took a wait-and-see approach, figuring I could get it done
if it was needed, before any serious damage was done, and if not, I saved
some money. As it turned out, I didn't need to do the modification.

I'm no expert, but that seemed like a reasonable approach to me. I had also
read that most of the engines made in that time frame had adequate valve seat
hardness anyway, even though they weren't designed with unleaded in mind.

As I said in my previous post, after 15,000 miles, there was no seat damage,
and no detectable stem wear. I change oil every 3000 miles, and use very
little in between, less than half a quart, so it appears the stem seal is
holding up ok as well.

Are there other areas I should be concerned about that I've overlooked?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74