Re: multiple carbs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: multiple carbs
From: "Scott Kohl" <sdkgt6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:53:51 PDT
I have wondered if someone would ever mention the rice-burner angle.  A
friend fabricated a setup for a Spitfire using a set of Mikuni CV (or CD
to most of us :-)) carbs off of, I think, a Yamaha 900, I don't remember
now which model.  Comes in a set of four, uses a cable choke, and has an
accelerator pump.  He paid $75 bucks for the set at a motorcycle salvage
in Portland.  I've seriously thought of trying this for the GT.  I'm not
sure if a 2.5 would work, though.  I have a hunch it would be too much
displacement.  But I figure you could buy two sets, splice them together
in such a way that you remove two of the carbs while keeping both accel.
pumps, and you might get away with it on a 2L.  I would expect that you
would have to drill the idle jets WAY out.  Also, these carbs have no
piston damper, so a stock cam would not work too well.  TR5 profile,
perhaps.
Food for thought?

Cheers

Scott Kohl
'69 GT6+
'67 2000 Saloon
'63 Spitfire 4 (arrival delayed again 'till arrival of new job)