Rust Prevention

To: "'TR List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rust Prevention
From: Tom Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:28:28 -0600
I have looked at lot's of products and tried to collect as much real data on
them as I can.  I posted a summary of my finings on the list last year.

I have heard of quite good results with POR -15, and good to average results
with Eastwoods Corroless. I have had good results personally with a product
called Rust Destroyer.  I don't have any good comparisons between these
products.

My personal complaint with POR ist that is very unforgiving of any defects in
preparation.  It will not stick to a surface that has been power wire brushed
without subsequent bead blasting or acid etching.  Even a hint of oil will
cause it to fisheye.

  One product I have found since then that seems to have great promise is ZRC.
It is a Cold Galvinizing coatile that is paintable.  (I am not aware of any
other Zinc products that can be painted). It is heavy as it is 95% metallic
zinc so it will add a measurable amount of weight to your vehicle probably
about 20 lbs.   But it can be coated with a urethane primer (and only a
urethane primer).  It appears to have good protection. they have a lot of goo
hard technical research to back up their claims.  As well as miltary
ceritifacation and UL listings.

For more info on ZRC look at www.zincrich.com.

I can purchase this product at one of my local auto paint stores, but I did not
know that until I called ZRC and asked them if they had a local distributor

I am thinking at this time to use this on the TR4A as it goes together.
Tom Leake