Re: Rear fender outrigger

To: MICHAEL FRANCIS KUTKA <cpecod@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Subject: Re: Rear fender outrigger
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:08:20 -0700
Cc: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
MICHAEL FRANCIS KUTKA wrote:

> Hi all,
> This weekend I removed the drivers side rear wing (TR250) and disconnected
> it from the bumper. But I was unsuccessful in removing the outrigger bolt
> and spacer from the fender. Does this unscrew from the spacer or should
> the spacer slide off? Attempts at both were unsucessful. Any suggestions
> or was I tackling the problem incorrectly? I did use WD-40 on the spacer.
> Is this going to be a torch job? I need the bolt and spacer to put on my
> recently-acquired california replacement fender. Suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Mike K
> CD-255

Hi Mike... I've run into this problem on 3 TR 4/4As that I have owned...

It is simply a bolt going through a metal tube, your body, a washer,
etc...  and then screws into a fitted nut inside your bumper...

Honestly, its been so long, I don't remember what worked for me... I
still have one rear fender, loose, in the garage, with this bolt still
sticking through it!!!

If the WD 40, etc. doesn't work... I would probably carefully hack-saw
it or use a tiger-saw/sawsall.  The tube may spin on you if you're
cutting through it.  so you might try to hold it from spinning with a
vise-grip.

This, by no means, is THE answer to the problem... so we'll both watch
for other users experience...

I would just add... DON'T GET MAD... you'll damage the panel if you
start getting abusive with it.    You'll get it.

Justin