Re: body caulk

To: "Patrick Bitton" <pbitton@axess.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: body caulk
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 07:40:16 -0500
What's wrong with just replacing the 20 year old seam sealer with new
seam sealer.  It's available at any automotive paint shop or from
Eastwood. It comes in a caulking gun style tube and in a can for brush
on.  I'd stay away from using silicone.  A friend who is a commercial
pilot told me some bad things about the possibility of corrosion caused
by silicone sealant that he knew about from his aircraft training.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: body caulk
> Date: Friday, October 17, 1997 2:10 PM
>
> At 06:18 PM 10/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >SUCHAK wrote:
> >>
> >> While sandblasting the shell of my car I'm ending up removing a
bunch
> >> of  the caulking / sealant that seals the seams.  What is this
stuff,
> >> and where can I obtain it?  I'm assuming replacement is called
for...

> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> John
> >>
> >> --
> >> Come see us on the Web!
> >> http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/home.htm
> >
> I know what you are talking about. I had tonnes of it on my car. I
don't
> know what it is called but I was surprised to still find that stuff
stuck on
> my car after 23 years. I would take a sample of it a hardware or body
shop
> and ask them what it could be.
>         I am thinking of doing the samething. Sealling wise. But I
may have
> a new technique. Get some gasket cork and use it as a seal. You can
seal it
> with silcon and I figure it will never let water enter the seams.
Never