Re: Thrust SCC, Spirit Of America, Hell, that ain't nothin!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, "Bruce T. Clough" <cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Thrust SCC, Spirit Of America, Hell, that ain't nothin!
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:38:36 -0700
Bruce T. Clough wrote:

> These boys are lightweights.
>
> A few of us aerospace geeks are going to load several surplus Saturn 5 F-1
> engines (1.5 million pounds thrust each) into my `60 Buick.  We figure the
> fins are large enough to provide yaw stability in the transonic area, but
> we'll have to bolt on extra fins from a '58 DeSoto for supersonic operation.
> I figure I can talk one of my Marine Corps flying buddies into piloting this
> thing, and already several retired Chiefs in our office have volunteered to
> be on the pit crew.  Quipped one: "gotta see this thing".  Now all we have
> to do get Lockheed-Martin Skunk Works to sponsor it. Only problem with that
> is they would probably insist on a few  changes so you wouldn't know it's
> coming or going, and news of the results won't be disclosed for ten years.
>
> Rough calculations indicate Mach 7 is obtainable.  Still working on the
> thermal effects, though.  Anyone got asbestos briefs?  How about diapers?
>
> Bruce "What me worry, I'm not in it, but in a slit trench" Clough
>
> BTW: well try to stay away from those Arizona cliff walls!

I GOTTA reply to this one...  Maybe we can beat the 130 mph TR3 with
this one!!  Has your Buick got a trailer hitch?  I've got an old tow
dolly I'll throw in  -  we'll put a  Spit on it, and it could make,
maybe Mach 2 before those Saturns burnt the paint of the Spit &
everything else underneath it - does it still have to resemble a Spit
when you're done to break the WSLSR (World Spitfire Land Speed Record)
??  GO FOR IT!!

Peter