TR3A solenoid mounting

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A solenoid mounting
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 14:13:01 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     "..............Does anyone know if there was any kind of seal between
     the solenoid and the scuttle on the TR3? I believe it bolts into two
     snap in clips but it seems that any water reaching that part of the
     scuttle can and will drip into the foot well on the passenger's side.
     I'm going to make one out of cork gasket material............."

     -------------------------------------

     Hi Bob,
     I just took mine off, and there was nothing between the solenoid and
     the scuttle at all. The solenoid was mounted with self-tapping screws;
     this was on a late '60 3A (TS81417). I have no idea whether this was
     original.
     Of course, water getting into the passenger compartment is not a
     concern with TRs due to the excellent sealing of the hood when it's
     closed, but here's a thought: you could put a thin circle of silicone
     around each of the screw holes just before mounting the solenoid, and
     it might not even show up.
     I'll be interested to see if someone can provide the "official"
     answer. Maybe we'll have to get British-manufactured NOS Furflex and
     secure the works with Whitworth-headed 60-degree-pitch fine-thread
     bolts with pointed ends, to stay as original as possible.
     Regards,
     Jim Wallace