Re: V-8's... poundage

To: halls@fdhc.state.fl.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: V-8's... poundage
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:09:34 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-16 09:03:44 EDT, Scott Hall wrote:

> 50 Pounds?  Aluminum heads save 50 pounds?  As the owner of a Ford short
>  block, this is particularly interesting.  Can you send me a complete
>  list of the things you changed?  I gotta get me some of those heads...

Scott:

Not only that, but if you want to shave off another 30 pounds, get an
aluminum 302 block from Ford Motorsports! A bit pricey, at $4000 list for the
bare block!

I bought a complete GT-40 engine assembly from Ford Motorsports, which came
complete with the aluminum heads, B303 hydraulic roller lifter cam, light
weight flywheel, and a serpentine drive aluminum water pump. All that is
required to complete the engine is a distributor, intake system, fuel pump,
exhaust headers, clutch, starter, and alternator.

The complete engine I bought lists for $3200 (can be bought for less), and is
advertised by Ford to produce 320 HP with a standard Ford fuel injection
system. I am using two 4bbl carbs, so I will get a little less. I also
replaced the water pump with a Weiand, so I could use a V-belt. Other than
that, I am using the engine as it came from Ford.

The heads, if bought separately, list for $1102 a pair, complete with valves,
springs, keepers, etc, but no rockers. According to Ford, they are good for
40 HP by themselves, and weigh 22 lbs each, 25 lbs less each than the GT-40
cast iron heads.

There are about a half-dozen companys making aluminum heads for the 302, and
probably the best is Edelbrock. They produce a complete kit, including the
heads, cam, intake manifold and a single four-bbl carb, which produces 367 HP
at 6500 RPM, and 340 lb-ft torque at 4500 RPM!  Even at 2500 RPM, it produces
120 HP and 265 lb-ft torque - easily streetable! Price is comparable to the
Ford prices.

Next time you are at the newstand, you might want to pick up a copy of
"Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" magazine. They have a lot of ads for Ford
performance components, and a lot of good hop-up articles. Also, you need to
go by your local Ford dealer and get a copy of the Ford Motorsports catalog.
Ford has a wide range of performance items to offer.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74